Pastor Carlton Coon Sr.
He has written over 25 books that include:
- Preacher, Pastor and Ministerial Development – “If we can grow a pastor, the pastor will grow the church. There is no need to talk about church growth unless we address preacher growth.”
- Christian Living – “Christian life has no secrets and cannot be compartmentalized. It must be daily. Each person’s behavior must demonstrate the characteristics that make for a healthy church....”
- Disciple-making – “The church is not successful if it makes converts but does not make disciples.”
- Teaching and Preaching Resources – “No minister is any better than his resources.” These materials cover an expanse from communion to lessons on the book of Ephesians.
- God’s Men – This is a new area. Each year a new book will focus on issues Christian men must overcome.
His resume includes having previously grown two churches:
- Vidalia Revival Center – Vidalia, Louisiana
- Truth Tabernacle (2848 North Broadway; Springfield, Missouri) now rebranded and re-doctrined as “Courageous.”
For twelve years, Carlton was General Director of North American Missions for his church organization. During those years the organization had unprecedented growth in churches planted and contributions to assist in planting churches. That growth trend continues under current leadership.
Currently, the Coons are bi-vocational pastors. The secular employment includes an online book-selling operation and writing for other entities. This is not their first season of being bi-vocational. While in Vidalia, he was regional manager for a vocational training corporation. This afforded the opportunity to serve on advisory boards of the Association of Independent Colleges and Schools and be part of the process of evaluating similar colleges.
For some of this time, Carlton served as President of the Vidalia Chamber of Commerce and sat on the City Board of Adjustments.
Other organizational involvement includes: launching and leading a Men’s Ministry effort in the State of Missouri; serving on Gateway College of Evangelism’s (now Urshan College) Board of Directors, and as a member of the Missouri District Board.
Carlton and Norma have been married over 40 years. They share two wonderful children + one equally wonderful daughter-in-law. They are grandparents to three young children.